|PMP or CAPM|
PMP without a bachelor’s Degree
PMP Eligibility and Cost of Exam
My Suggestion to Crack the Exam
Let’s start with the Basics.
PMP or Project management Professional certification is an internationally recognized certification for experienced Project Managers. PMI, Project Management Institute USA, manages this certification. After getting approval on your application for PMP, you need to pass the exam for certifications
CAPM, Certified Associate in Project Management is a certification for inexperienced project managers or team members. This is actually a good start for the people who are either entering in Project Management Profession or have plans for doing it. This will help you get ready for a big job from the beginning.
|Duration||230 Minutes||3 hours|
|No of Questions||180||150|
|Fees||$550 for Non Members|
$405 for Members
|$300 for Non Members|
$225 for Members
|Questions||Scenario-based MCQ’s||Largely, Theory-based MCQ’s|
|Pre-Req||Secondary Education+ 7500 Hours of Project Leadership|
Bachelors Degree + 4500 Hours of Project Leadership
|Secondary Education + 1500 Hours of Project Management|
Secondary School + 23 Hours of PM Study
|Validity||3 years renewable||5 years non-renewable|
For more information, please visit Here
So CAPM or PMP?
PMP: if you have 5 years of professional experience and the majority is in some sort of leadership role on your previous assignments, this is for you i.e 4500 hours of project management. Technically 2 years and 1 month(4500/8/22/12). AND for all practical reasons about 3 years 5 months of experience (4500/6/20/12)+3.
CAPM: although it says 23 hours of Project Management Studies or 1500 hours. for me, the benchmark is 1500 hours i.e around 1 year of project management experience.
Visit for important links
Join the group;
PMI is not after your degree, they want your experience. So with Higher education, you need to provide 7500 hours of Project Leadership in the last 8 years.
You need to be in the Leading role in your project. This project can be ON Job or maybe a community project.
Any project you have done in the last 8 years qualifies for submission.
- Avoid gaps in your experience
- Make sure that you have experience in all 5 Process Groups.
- Make sure that you have a communication channel available with the Manager of the Project. Because you might need to contact the manager in case of Audit
- The audit is Sampling, so your selection is not based on the quality of your submission, but god forbid if you are selected then the whole application will be scrutinized
- A secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree or the global equivalent)
- 7,500 hours leading and directing projects
- 35 hours of project management education/ Contact Hours
- Four-year degree
- 4,500 hours leading and directing projects
- 35 hours of project management education
Price of Exam
- For Members: US$ 405.00
- For Non-member: US$ 555.00
* Membership fees is US$ 129.00/year
For me, one size doesn’t fit all. But having more than 15 years of experience in this field of coaching and training PMP aspirants for me parameters remain the same.
1. Pmbok 6 (read once)
2. PMbok 7 (read once)
3. PMI ACP Guide (read twice)
4. PMP concept Page
5. Any Exam guide which you like (1 only)
6. Coach ( I usually advise that if the coach has no time for you he doesn’t worth it. Because it’s a journey where you need quick guidance to keep the circle small and efficient)
With these, I believe many can pass the exam quickly and with fewer headaches.
3 months of 12-14 hours a week with 2-3 hours a day. You should be consistently scoring 80% above in all your exams taken home that’s the point you should be considering that you are ready for the exam. It is also important that you begin your studies with PMP Exam Content Online and PMP Hand Book.
- Be there early
- No calculators allowed. Get used to computer-based calculators
- If you have scheduled in the morning, make sure that you have a good night’s sleep
- Don’t forget your ID
- Keep a sweater or extra jersey, in case the room is uncomfortably cold.
- A brain dump is not allowed
- whatever you do, you can’t have the same exam room pressure at home, so relax and take your time to get into 5th Gear
- You may mark the question for review, un answered and can come back easily
- Get yourself familiar with exam software.
My personal advice
- Use four cycles
- First, one should go fast, don’t think about the question, just answer what you know. Mark if you are doubtful, but don’t read the question the second time. it is important to go through all questions – Here you should have answered about 60%
- Second, go through all calculation questions – another 1-5 questions
- Go through your marked questions, and if you don’t know the answer remove the selection and marked them unanswered and go through them in the last cycle – This should take your count to 75-80% guaranteed questions
- You should able to answer another 10-20 here.. By now we should be standing at 165-180
- now answer, as there is no negative marking
While filling out a form always make sure that you are in contact with the person whose name you will be using against every project. God-Forbid if you are selected for audit, you need their signatures on the audit forms. So please contact your supervisors and managers before you use their names on the form