Corrective Action, Preventive Action, and Defect Repairs are all different terms used in quality management to address issues that arise during the production or delivery of goods or services.
A Change Request is a formal proposal to modify a project, product, or system. It is used to request the approval and implementation of changes that may have an impact on project scope, schedule, budget, or quality.
Corrective Action is taken when a problem or non-conformance has already occurred and requires a solution to correct the issue. The aim of corrective action is to identify and eliminate the root cause of the problem to prevent it from happening again in the future.
Intentional activity that realigns the performance of the project work with the project management plan
Preventive Action is taken to prevent a potential problem or non-conformance from occurring. The focus is on identifying and eliminating the root cause of the problem before it happens.
An intentional activity that ensures the future performance of the project work is aligned with the project management plan
Defect Repairs are actions taken to fix a problem or defect that has already occurred in a product or service
An intentional activity to modify a nonconforming product or product component.
Usage of Corrective action, Preventive action and Defect repairs.
- Corrective Action is used when a problem has already occurred and requires a solution.
- Preventive Action is used when there is a potential for a problem to occur and measures need to be taken to prevent it.
- Defect Repairs are used to fix problems or defects that have already occurred in a product or service.
|Preventive Action||Corrective Action||Defect Repair|
|When to Use||Before Problems Arise||After Problems Arise||After the problem occurred|
|Starts With||Risk Assessment||Identification of the |
Root Cause of a Problem
|Identify the defect, usually |
through customer complaints,
- Implementing Corrective Action, Preventive Action,, and Defect Repairs can improve the overall quality of products and services and prevent problems from reoccurring.
- They can also help to improve customer satisfaction and reduce the likelihood of customer complaints.
- Defect Repairs can improve the reliability of products and services and reduce the likelihood of product failures.