Initiating Process Group – PMP/CAPM (PMBOK 6)
The Initiating Process Group consists of those Project management processes performed to define a new project or a new phase of anexisting project by obtaining authorization to start the project or phase. PMBOK 6
This is the first Project Management process group that translates the idea into a project. It helps in to understand the need for the project and what eventually organization is looking at in terms of benefits at the end of the project. Project Charter helps to set a vision for what is to accomplish as the project.
Identify stakeholders is as important as setting up a vision of the project. Failure to correctly and early identification and properly engaging stakeholders can literally make or break the project.
This is the very first phase of the project that aims to define the project at a broad level. In this step, you will figure out whether the project is feasible enough to be undertaken. Stakeholders will carry out comprehensive research and testing to evaluate the practicality of the project. Here, a project charter or a project initiation document is created that highlights the purpose and requirements of the project.
Initiating Process group has only two processes and both are of utmost importance to lay down the groundwork for all future activities and missing any may mean that project could face challenges at a later stage.
During this process, questions like;
- Why the project
- What is the Business Case
- What it the expected benefits of the project
- What is the timeline for these benefits to be realized
- How the project will be funded? Self, loan, Equity…
- Who will be the project manager or maybe a project management team
- who will perform the project
Purpose of Initiating Process Group
- Align the stakeholders’ expectations with the project’s purpose
- Give them visibility about the scope and objectives
- Explain how their engagement can help to achieve expectations
Tasks to be performed Initiating Process Group
- Perform project selection methods
- Define project scope
- Identify and perform a stakeholder analysis
- Identify risks, assumptions, and constraints
- Develop and Obtain project charter approval
- Verify project alignment with organization strategy
- Chooses and authorizes the project manager here
All initiatives which eventually turn into projects are usually gone through the conceptualization stage. The Initiation process group helps the stakeholders determines the nature and the scope of the project. The process commits the organization to a project or phase by providing necessary approvals, and authorizations with the clear identification of Schedule and budget
Processes in Initiating Process Group
- Develop Project Charter ⇒ Project Integration Management
Develop Project Charter is the process of developing a document that formally authorizes the existence of a project and provides the project manager with the authority to apply organizational resources to project activities.
- Identify Stakeholders ⇒ Project Stakeholders Management
Identify Stakeholders is the process of identifying project stakeholders regularly and analyzing and documenting relevant information regarding their interests, involvement, interdependencies, influence, and potential impact on project success.
- Project Charter
- Stakeholder Register
- Project Management Office (PMO)
- Business Case
- Benefits Management Plan
- Organization Project Management (OPM)